Just a word of advice for future CIEE Tokyo participants and financial aid!
1. APPLY FOR THE JASSO SCHOLARSHIP!! ITS BASICALLY FREE MONEY!!!
-The requirements are pretty general and apply to almost everyone
-Pretty much everyone who applies gets funding
2. Hold a fund raising going away party to raise spending money!
- Japan is expensive, and you are going to need the full estimated spending budget to really enjoy yourself
- I did it! And I raised over the estimated spending budget!
-If you invite roughly 20 people (mentors, supportive professors, and well to do friends) and they give about $50 a person, that is easily $1,000!
3. Keep informed about your home school's deadlines for financial aid and scholarships
-Chances are, your school will have at least one, if not multiple scholarships that can be applied to study abroad.
4. Did I mention.... APPLY FOR THE JASSO SCHOLARSHIP!!!
Remember, you are still a student, and no-one expects you to come up with the full amount all by yourself. Use your resources around you including your home institution, scholarship sites, and CIEE scholarships.